Montcalm County Roads

Permits, Fees & Guidelines

You must have a permit to do any work within the Road Commission’s right-of-ways; and permits are required to install new driveways.

The Montcalm County Road Commission is now utilizing Oxcart Permit Systems to receive and process all permit applications. All transactions must be processed through Oxcart Permit Systems. This includes driveway construction/improvement, culvert crossings, ditching/drainage work, utility work, plan review, commercial site construction and any other work taking place in the right-of-way.

Please complete the following to apply:

  1. Click here to create an account or sign into Oxcart.
  2. Select the Right of Way tab.
  3. Select “Montcalm Road Commission, County of ” and click “Apply for Permit.”
  4. Fill out the application and click “Submit Application”.

MCRC staff will review your application, conduct a site review where necessary and process your application. Once that is complete, you will receive an email with instructions on how to pay for your approved permit. All payments are processed using a credit card on the Oxcart website. 

If you have any questions regarding permits or Oxcart please call the office at 989-831-5285 or email us at


You must obtain a permit to move an oversize/overweight vehicle/load. (Vehicles over 8’6″ wide and/or 75′ long (combination) and/or over legal weight limits.) These permits are available using OXCART. Faxed or emailed Oversize Moving Permits and Seasonal Permits will not be accepted.

Oversize moving permits and seasonal utility / AG permits are available using Oxcart.



The Road Commission for Montcalm County does NOT issue permits for State Trunklines.State Trunkline permits can be obtained at MDOT’s TSC office in Cadillac.

Michigan Department of Transportation
Transportation Service Center
7915 US-131 Hwy
Cadillac, MI 49601
Phone: (231) 775-3486