Permits, Fees and Guidelines

Permits, Fees and Guidelines

You must have a permit to do any work within the Road Commission's right-of-ways; and permits are required to install new driveways.  You must also obtain a permit to move an oversize/overweight vehicle/load.  (Vehicles over 8'6" wide and/or 75' long (combination) and/or over legal weight limits.)

All permits are in PDF form. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print the forms. You can download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free at Adobe's website.

If you require a permit, please fax/mail/email the permit form and proof of insurance (Insurance requirements are listed on the application).  Payment can be made by clicking on the GovPay.Net link on this page.  The road commission receives notification immediately once the transaction is approved.  Permit applications can be faxed to 989-831-8776 or emailed to 

Agricultural Seasonal Transport Permit
Public Utility Seasonal Permit

Road Guidelines
Placing Existing Public Road Right-of-Way
Certification of New Roads
Utilities Annual Maintenance Permit - Allowable Activities
Application for Installation of Private Road Name Signs
Standards, Guidelines & Policies for Roads and Driveways

Driveway Permits for
State Trunklines

The Road Commission for Montcalm County does NOT issue permits for State Trunklines.
State Trunkline permits can be obtained at MDOT's TSC office in Cadillac.

Michigan Department of Transportation
Transportation Service Center
7915 US-131 Hwy
Cadillac, MI 49601
Phone:  (231) 775-3486

Contact Us

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.



Please click below to make an online payment!